Tuesday, July 22, 2014

The Criterion Project

I have come to a decision. A decision that I believe will be both daunting and fulfilling (mostly daunting though). Daunting in the sense that it will probably consume many years of my life, and fulfilling in that I believe it can only help me improve both my writing and film knowledge.

I am going to simultaneously write about films from both the Criterion Collection and Eclipse Series.

Now here is a clarification. Due to budgetary restrains brought upon by being a college student, I will be forced to forego DVDs in favor of streaming. This means that I will not be writing about the amazing special features that usually accompany a DVD from the Criterion Collection. I might purchase the odd DVD if the film in question is interesting or special enough, but for the most part, I will be focused specifically on the films themselves.

Kicking off this task, which I shall call 'The Criterion Project' (because someone has already taken the name 'The Criterion Contraption'), will be Jean Renoir's Grand Illusion (1937) and Alf Sjöberg's Torment (1944). Wednesday will be the release of a Criterion Collection film while Fridays will be the release of an Eclipse Series film.

Let's hope I don't go mad going through all these films!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;